Wednesday, November 19, 2014

New Workout Almost Killed Me!!!!

That is me post-workout.
Unfortunately my wife was not entertaining the idea of carrying me inside from the car :( 
This week was the beginning of my new circuit training routine and after one workout I have learned a few things, some of them very depressing. Here are the circuits I put together:

Circuit Training
Sets
Reps
Upper Body



Burpee
3
30s rest 15
Weighted Shadow Boxing
3
30s rest 15
Push-ups
3
30s rest 15




2 min between sets





Dips
3
30s no rest
Pull Ups
3
30s no rest
Cable Curls
3
30s no rest





Battle Ropes
3
45s no rest
ab roll out
3
30s no rest
Plank
3
30s no rest










Lower Body








Thrusters
3
45s no rest
Dead Lift
3
45s no rest
Hanging One Leg Squat
3
45s no rest





Rowing
4
250 meters




60s rest





Treadmill Sprints
6
30s:45s rest

Incline Advance
0%,1%,2,3,4,5

Lesson #1: Careful what you eat
        I didn't get the chance to work out at my usual time today so I had to go after the kids went to bed. Not really thinking about it I ate a nice full meal, not a particularly healthy one either :( a couple hours before I went to the gym. Not a good idea. Almost lost it and felt a little sick for about an hour after working out. I think it also impeded my ability to give a full effort so that wan't good either.

Lesson #2: I am shamefully out of shape
        I knew that this new routine was going to be hard for me and that I don't have a lot of endurance but WOW I am really out of shape. I have been getting stronger and more defined muscles but I feel like I am starting from square one when it comes to endurance and core strength. I had to adjust some of the movements so I could even finish every set. Burpees became more of just an up down, push-ups became knee push-ups and by the time I got to the plank I could barely keep my body up for 10 seconds at a time. Honestly it was pretty depressing and I felt a little defeated but on the bright side I did finish the routine and now I know where I am at.

I am on a very long journey and the day-in day-out grind is very difficult at times but I have to keep putting my head down and moving forward. Tonight I realized just how much further I have to go to get healthy but that will make it all the more satisfying when I get there some day. Thanks everyone for reading and in the words of Red Green "We're all pullin for ya!"

No comments:

Post a Comment